What to consider when writing a process essay
A process paper either tells the reader how to do
something or describes how something is done. As you write your process essay,
consider the following:
- What process are you trying to explain? Why
is it important?
- Who or what does the process affect?
- Are there different ways of doing the
process? If so, what are they?
- Who are the readers? What knowledge do they
need to understand this process?
- What skills/equipment are needed for this?
- How long does the process take? Is the
outcome always the same?
- How many steps are there in the process?
Why is each step important?
- What difficulties are involved in each step?
How can they be overcome?
- Do any cautions need to be given?
- Does the process have definitions that need
to be clarified?
- Are there other processes that are similar
and could help illustrate the process that you are writing about?
- If needed, tell what should not be done or
why something should be done.
- Process papers are often written in the
second person (you), but some teacher prefer that you avoid this. Check with
Your responses to these questions and statements
should enable you to write an effective process essay.